Hayti Heritage Center
Location: Durham, NC
Awards: North Carolina American Institute of Architects Tower Award (1993)
DTW Architects designed the renovation of this historic church that became home to the St. Josephs Historic Foundation and the Hayti Heritage Center. The three-story 25,000 SF building was originally constructed in 1891, and the renovation, completed in 1991, adhered to federal historic preservation guidelines. A light-filled lobby was inserted between the existing sanctuary and education building, and public entry is accessed through entry courtyards on either side. The renovation also included galleries; music and dance studios; photography, visual arts and clay studios; and public meeting rooms. DTW received the North Carolina American Institute of Architects Tower Award for this project.