DTW Offices

Location
Durham, NC

 

DTW Architects designed renovations for two of its previous locations, both in historic buildings. DTW’s location just prior to its existing one (2002-2012) was in a building originally constructed in 1925. This building first housed the county prison, with later uses as a tuberculosis sanitorium and a television station’s studios. The workplace included a large high-ceilinged open office on the first floor, with a new stair designed by DTW leading to the mezzanine and the second-floor front office area. The mezzanine, containing two offices, was inserted into the space and provided a mid-point landing for the stairway. Brightly painted accent walls and interior window shutters enlivened the space.

An earlier office occupied by DTW was located in a Coca-Cola bottling plant built in 1930. DTW Architects designed the overall building renovation, and was located on the second floor of the building from 1987 to 2002.