DTW Architects designed this historic renovation of what had been the first Public High School in Durham to be the home of the Durham Arts Council. Originally built in 1906, the 3-story 52,000 SF structure was renovated according to federal historic preservation guidelines, and served as a catalyst for an early downtown Durham renewal. A new glass box of a lobby atrium brings light into all levels of the galleries and studios.
The project also includes two theaters with support spaces; photography, visual arts & clay studios; public meeting rooms; and exterior art courts. DTW received the Design Merit Award from the North Carolina American Institute of Architects for this project.
Golden Leaf Award for Community Properties, 2014. Design Merit Award from the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, 1990