DTW Architects worked with Student U, a non-profit that tutors Durham Public School students, to repurpose and reuse a historic 57,000 square foot school building. The 3-story building from the 1920’s was renovated for modern use with space for an auditorium, cafeteria, gymnasium classrooms, and staff offices. The roof and floor were replaced and new finishes and windows were added. Outdated HVAC systems were replaced, LED lighting was added, and the plumbing, fire alarm, and fire sprinkler systems were upgraded. Site improvements included upgraded parking, landscaping, play fields, and storm water management.