DTW Architects designed this fellowship hall addition for an African-American congregation that had been founded in 1864. The existing small church building was constructed in the 1950s, and the existing fellowship hall was in a cramped and damp basement. The congregation wanted an enlarged gathering space with modern kitchen facilities. DTW designed this addition to complement the existing church building and still permit the sanctuary to be more significant; the roofline of the addition is slightly lower than the existing sanctuary. However, its high-ceilinged clerestory provides bountiful light in the fellowship hall and makes it feel much larger. In addition, several French doors open onto the new courtyard between the sanctuary and fellowship hall, where a new pedestal displays the original bell from an earlier church building.